Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is Here!
To keep kids, and adults, safe while out and about in your neighborhood this Halloween here are some helpful hints and tips to think about.
- Children can be unpredictable! With the excitement of getting to that next house, children may run out onto a road unexpectedly – slow down in residential areas.
- Enter and exit your driveway carefully – Darth Vader Jr. may be behind you.
- Take extra time to check crosswalks, intersections, and curbs.
- Don’t allow for distractions – don’t even think about looking at that phone screen.
Keep kids safe
- Avoid Trick or Treating during rush hour
- Teach kids this mantra to help ensure a safe crossing: “STOP, LOOK, LISTEN, THINK before you cross the road.”
- Be visible – carry flashlights or glow sticks. If your child’s costume is predominantly black, use reflective tape or stickers to help drivers see them in dark conditions
- Children should know it’s never ok to enter anyone’s house, regardless of invitation.
- Be extra vigilant about crossing a road – ensure all directions are clear before letting kids cross the street. Keep kids on the sidewalk if possible
Trick or Treat!
- Homeowners should ensure their property is well lit and free of tripping hazards
- Use glow sticks or battery operated candles instead or real candles – this helps prevent fire hazards
- Keep dogs inside – they can get excited, or scared, with all the activity.
- Keep the spooky stuff kid friendly – while you may find it funny to scare the bat’s out of people, small children may not feel the same way!
- Parents should always check the candy haul once home before kids get to enjoy their loot.
Above all, have fun, enjoy the festivity and don’t overdo the candy consumption (we’re looking at you Mum and Dad!)
From all of us at Servo Insurance Brokers we wish you a safe and happy Halloween!