Seasonal Property Insurance

Insuring Your Cottage


It’s that time of year again – summer is fast approaching and with it, the yearning to get out to The Cottage, Cabin or Camp. If you own a seasonal property in Ontario it’s important to make sure you have the correct seasonal property insurance.


The Best Coverage


Not all cottages are the same so it’s important to really understand what kind of insurance coverages you will need. A rustic cabin in the woods is not the same as a luxury cottage in Muskoka! Your principle homeowners policy may offer some coverages on contents temporarily kept at your cottage however if you have a big seasonal property with a few high-end finishes then separate insurance could be required to ensure the property and contents are insured correctly.


Your insurance broker will need to ask enough questions to be able to understand what your insurance needs would be. These questions include things like the location of your property and the potential area risks, for example, an isolated area with no fire hall versus a near-by township with a fire hall. Property ownership is also important, especially if there is more than one owner of a property.  The broker will also need to know about custom finishes or detached structures along with any ‘toys’ that are kept at the cottage, ski’s or tools. Exclusions are also important to review as you may find vandalism or water damage is not covered if the home is vacant for extended periods of time.


Other Insurance Considerations


Liability is also important to understand – If you have a homeowners policy your third party liability may extend to your seasonal property however it is worth considering Umbrella Liability to give extra coverage in the event of a claim. With cottages being a source of much outdoor activity there is an even greater risk of injury or damage to someone else’s property.


As always, talk with your insurance broker so you can be well informed and make the best decision.


Related Links



Quick Quote